Tuesday 1 October 2013

POPPY CHANCELLOR.





Poppy Chancellor is a paper cut artist who I just came across whilst doing some research. She designs commemorative and celebratory papercuts which display the names of, and also motifs, of the ones you love. I thought her work reminded me a lot of Rob Ryan's super intricate papercuts, although I find his a lot more detailed, like doilies. I like the simplicity of her designs, although I'm sure they are quite difficult to create, they feel slightly graphic with bold and thick lettering against more fragile looking images. 

What I found inspiring about her work is how she has applied it to more commercial areas of illustration. Some of her work has been used in issues of Elle magazine and also Vogue, which can be seen in the image above. It's good to see that slowly more fashion magazines are letting illustrations and other art trickle back into their issues since it's an area that I am interested in creating work for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment