Wednesday 16 October 2013

REFLECTION - 14.10.2013.









 Today's has been quite productive! Me and Jane carried on with our project, with me concentrating on collage making and Jane focused on type. It was quite hard to get started, like it is every Monday, but we cracked on and I feel like we have made some progress! I'm pleased with the collages that I made today, especially where I combined line work and also more abstract shapes. We placed some of my images next to Jane's typography and they complimented each other well so now it's just a matter of scanning everything in and playing around with compositions and layout, this will help us to see what gaps need filling in with more text, collage, colour or patterns. 

I also had my first crit of the year with Chris! I'm pleased that I had the talk since I realised that I am still confused as to what to channel my ideas down when it comes to choosing an article. Some of the points that he suggested were: 
  • What article(s) are you going to illustrate?
  • Why?
  • Will the text inform your work?
  • What medias will you be using? 
These questions helped me to think about what I need to focus on and to also rethink/tweak my proposal. During the crit the horoscopes page from magazines was mentioned since it's what started my interest in illustration due to how beautifully decorated they used to be. Chris mentioned that I can choose to illustrate this section of a magazine but to just consider the points and to say why I've chosen this particular article. 
  • Is it due to the current illustrations not working alongside the text? 
  • What will I do to change this? 
  • If its due to aesthetic reasons, why don't I like them? 

Lot's of good points were brought up and I feel like the horoscopes page may be the right path for me since it's something I've always enjoyed reading (and still do) but I feel it lacks imagination and good designs. We briefly touched upon my thoughts for the essay and I got good feedback about all the questions I'd brought up relating to collage although Chris suggested that I filter through them all so that I'm more focused on 1 or 2 ideas rather than lots of little ones. 

My brain is scrambled after today but I thought I'd write a small list of things that I need to do: 

- Rewrite the BA7 brief so I mention what article I will be focusing on (horoscopes) 
- Write 50 words on what to base essay on. 
- Dive into my research! 

No comments:

Post a Comment