Wednesday 9 October 2013

WHAT INSPIRES ME.

My favourite artists/illustrators/graphic designers/photographers?
  • Lou Taylor/ John Stezaker/ Gary Hume/ Javier Piñón/ Anthony Zinonos/ Mio Matsumoto/ Janelle Burger. 

My favourite films?
  • Chocolat/ Amélie/ Ghost World/ Scarface. 

My favourite musicians/bands/styles of music?
  • House/ R&B/ Grime

My favourite television programmes?
  • Channel 4 documentaries/ Adventure Time. 

My favourite book(s)?
  • The Lovely Bones. 

Which magazines do I like to look at?
  • Vogue/ Elle/ Marie Claire/ i-D/ Nylon/ Rookie Mag/ Vice/ Oh Comely. 

My favourite colours?
  • Green/ Red/ Black/ Grey/ Pink. 

What do I like to write or draw with?
  • Write in biro/ Draw in pencil. 

What sort(s) of paper do I like to draw on?
  • Write on lined paper/ Collage/draw on anything. 

Computer or hand for my own illustration work?
  • Hand(!)

Why?
  • Since I enjoy working with collage the most I prefer to do this by hand due to being able to mix different papers together, along with other medias, to create a variety of textures. I also enjoy being able to move my images around to play with composition rather than doing it through a screen. 

What types of patterns do I like/dislike?
  • I like polka dots/ stripes/ Sicilian embroidery/ tropical or prints inspired by nature. 
  • Dislike tartan in horrible colour ways like browns. 

What typefaces do I like/dislike?
  • I like simple typefaces along with hand rendered type. 
  • Dislike anything too swirly or complicated. 

Any reasons for these?
  • I've just found that simple typefaces work better next to my work since it can look quite graphic and bold sometimes, it can give it a nice balance.

What types of illustration work do I enjoy most and why?
  • Collage! I love images and being able to create something new and completely different with photos/magazines cutouts. I like how you can make it look as basic as putting two shapes together but it can still have a strong presence as well as doing the complete opposite by making them as busy and intricate as you want. It's also a great way to put ideas and thoughts down on a page quickly, I feel that I can get my message across better and more clearly by using collage. 

What or who inspires my work?
  • Fashion magazines/ Women/ Relationships/ Old films/ Beauty 

Why is this?
  • A lot of my images come from fashion magazines because I'm always drawn to their strong photographs and I like to mix those with drawing or other bits of paper. I've found that I always base my work around women whether it's showing them as powerful and sometimes dark characters or just relating them to personal experiences that I have had. Old films sometimes influence my work due to costumes used or just picking out nice stills to then work over the top of. 

Which decade would I have liked to have lived in?
  • Egyptian or Roman times. 

Why?
  • I have always been interested in the way they lived their lives, rituals and beliefs and also their clothes and jewellery. 

What other influences are there in my life?
  • My family. 
  • My 3 cats. 
  • Books. 

Three words that sum me up as a person?:
  • Stubborn. 
  • Thoughtful. 
  • Relaxed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment