Sunday 6 October 2013

PROJECT PROPOSAL.

1. Project proposal title: 

Hidden, reworked, revealed. 

2. Project proposal content: 

I plan on working from real magazine articles that relate to the beauty and fashion industry to then create appropriate illustrations that go alongside the writings. The way that this fits into the project title is that the articles will be selected by other people and the original illustrations will be covered so I have nothing visually to work from other than the words themselves. Once the illustrations have been created (reworked) then I am allowed to see what the original work was before (revealed). Although I also feel like I could just choose articles without illustrations to begin with since they slowly started filtering fashion illustrations out from magazines, so again this could be also looked at as a way of showing how illustration can work alongside this industry in magazines. 

3. Context and audience: 

I think that the main audience would obviously be readers that are interested in the beauty/fashion industry and go for magazines like Vogue, Elle, Marie Claire etc so I imagine that the ages will range from about 16 right up to more mature women. Fashion magazines can draw a variety of age groups since they offer a range of articles whether its beauty, fashion, travel, food they have something for everyone. I'd like to use this project to explore creating work that isn't for fictional writing, as much as I enjoy illustrating fictional stories I'd like to see how my illustrations can be applied to non-fiction and 'real life' writings. This will also be a good way to really focus on one solid idea rather than messing about with lots of little ideas, creating small bits of work and then not really knowing what to do with them all, instead this means that I have a more concrete foundation to start with. 

4. Research resources: 

In regards to how I will research into my subject I will start looking at various artists that already do illustrations for fashion magazines or have done in the past. I'd like to see what sort of illustrations were popular when they were used in magazines often compared to the rare ones that get published now. I also plan on making good use of the university library due to the huge book selection we have, I think this would be a great area to explore within books. I've also already begun looking at various artists work that ties in with the beauty/fashion world to get some ideas of how I can push my work in terms of trying new textures, materials and compositions. 

5. Learning methodology: 

The majority of my ideas and imagery will be generated from the articles that I find and start to create images for as this will be my main starting point since it's what will help me to get things moving. Alongside this there will be lots of artist research relating to collage and paper art since I know that collage is definitely my preferred, and visually strongest method of working. This is to give me a deeper and wider knowledge of other ways of working with images that I can take into account to then explore and apply to my own style. I feel that this way of creating illustrations is the easiest way for me to get my ideas across but I don't hesitate to mix medias if I feel it is appropriate. 

6. Work for assessment: 

I have found that it has taken me a very long time, 2 years to be exact, to find my right way of working. I wouldn't say it's 100% fool proof but everyone has their moments and mental blocks but I seem to work best by just diving straight in with my research then once that's there, I can go crazy with the image making and just keep creating visual work. Sometimes I can do my visual alongside my research but it really depends on what I am looking at, either way I will be sure to cut, arrange and glue my thoughts down. I think from the project I will have learnt how to adapt my work to fit various 'stories' whether from life or from someone's head, this will help to boost my confidence in that I don't have to just stick to the 'story book  route' of illustration and it can be applied to areas I am very passionate about. I hope to hand in a body of work that will be concise, clear and shows how I've adapted my work to fit into my area of interest. 

Questions 7 and 8 were so confusing since I don't really understand how to answer them but will be able to ask one of my tutors on Monday for some help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment