Tuesday 22 October 2013

ILLUSTRATED APE MAGAZINE.


Trina Dalziel. 
Selina Cassidy. 
Julie Verhoeven. 

These are some images from The Illustrated Ape magazine which Glynn had mentioned to look at yesterday. I couldn't find too many images of the actual page spreads but maybe the library has the magazine in their archives so the ones shown I picked due to their layout and colour. 

I think the layout of a magazine spread or page is so important as an illustrator since you have to make sure that everything is balanced, your illustrations need to compliment the writing but also make sure that they aren't taking up too much or too little space. I thought I'd write some quick and short points to highlight what I like about each image: 

Trina Dalziel: 
  • I like the limited use of colour palette by only using white, black and red. Gives the page a strong and loud voice. 
  • I've never seen a concertina style layout before and it connects her images like a story. It's also aesthetically interesting since it gives it a slight 3 dimensional feel, as if its coming out from the page. 
  • I also liked the mixture of drawings styles since they seem to bounce off each other well. 
Selina Cassidy

  • This was my favourite layout from all the images. I like her use of space around the text by keeping her images in the corners of the pages. 
  • Again the mixture of medias work well since they compliment each other through her choice of colours. 
  •  The tidy, uniform look of the text keeps it from becoming overwhelming since there is quite a bit of writing, this could have taken away from the illustrations but instead keeps the balance. 
Julie Verhoeven

  • Use of one side of the spread for her image makes it more dramatic.
  • I like the mix of fine lines, block colour and brush strokes. 
  • the text is almost the same length of the illustration and I like the contrast of the two next to each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment