Monday 21 October 2013

MONICA RAMOS.










These are some illustrations by artist Monica Ramos, although these aren't horoscope related she has done a lot of work for publications such as Rookie Mag, The Lucky Peach, The New York Times and lots more. I thought her work was so beautiful in its simplicity and use of delicate watercolours but what drew me to it was how she applied it to articles. 

A lot of the time her work went alongside photography and her imagery was placed in the corners of the spread, as seen in the second photo for the 'Meat Maids' article. I thought that this wouldn't work since it's a very small space but it's a nice contrast to the photograph in terms of mixed media. In the 6th photo she illustrated an article for The New York Times and I thought this was a great way to see that sometimes simple, clear illustrations can work best alongside a lot of writing. I think that if her drawing had been in colour or had more detail it might have been too overwhelming. Her work has made me think about how to use colour and the scale of imagery too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment