Tuesday 5 November 2013

EXTENDED ESSAY REFLECTION - 5.11.2013.

I've been having a bit of a hard time in terms of what to focus on for my essay. I had a review with Glynn last Friday and it went well but I still felt very confused as to what I wanted to write about. It's all been very overwhelming! I think by having the project work to do plus workshops and then trying to understand the essay I just couldn't think straight since I had, still have, so many things to do. There's not enough time in the day, I swear. 

Anyway, I went into the library yesterday to have a look at some books that would help me to get started. This is what I took out:

- The Cultures of Collecting.
- Collage: Assembling Contemporary Art. 
- Max Ernst: Retrospective 
- Henri Matisse: Paper Cut-Outs 

I also have a reservation on 'Manifesto Collage: Defining Collage in the 21st Century' which I think will be really useful to look at too. Obviously the majority of the books are collage based, since it's what I shall be focusing on for the essay. I've started reading The Cultures of Collecting which although it's about the theories of collecting, it explores this in a very varied way from the psychology and history to just collections that reflect fascination. Collage is, in a way, a form of collecting and I know that I'm constantly collecting images from magazines or photographs. The books also contains a chapter on with Kurt Schwitters, who is one of the artists I shall be looking at so I thought this would be a good book to read. I have yet to start on the others but I will be sure to write up thoughts that I have on them. 

Below I have typed up my plan for the extended essay. I have my group review today with Chris and I hope to discuss this with everyone this afternoon. I know that it's not a lot of work considering the amount of time we have had but it's been very difficult to get to this point. I feel a lot more confident about it but there are still plenty of points that I would like to talk about with Chris.

Title ideas:

- The Power of Collage
 How Has the History of Collage Influenced Todays Work?
- A History of Collage and Where It Is Today.

Introduction:

For this industry report I am going to look into the early history of collage from the Dada art movement right through to the 21st Century. The aim of this report is to look into the power of collage and why it’s played such an important role within the art world. By exploring the history I can find out where it came from and how it has influenced modern collage artists today.

Paragraph 1:

- What is collage?
- Where did it come from?
- Background history.
- Dada period.
- Max ErnsT. 
- Kurt Schwitters.
- Hannah Hoch.
- Surrealism.

Paragraph 2:

- How has the past influenced today?
- Michelle ThompsoN.
- The Face Magazine.
- Anthony Zinonos.
- Is it more powerful than just drawing the image? Why? 
- Where does collage go (installations)?

Paragraph 3:
- My thoughts and views on collage.
- What draws me to making collage work? The processes? Techniques? Layering?

Conclusion:

- What have I learnt/found out? 
- My view on where I think collage is heading?

No comments:

Post a Comment