Thursday 7 November 2013

REFLECTION - 6.11.2013.

Today I managed to type up around 200 words of my essay (eek). I know it's not that much but I'm glad that I managed to type up anything today since it's still a struggle. Although I was able to grab Glynn just before I was leaving and he read through what I'd written so far, as well as having a little review. He thought that I was heading in the right direction but needed to include more of my own point of view/thoughts on the question I'd chosen. Glynn also mentioned a few artists that I would benefit from looking at and some extra pointers in terms of just slightly altering the essay title and questions that I might include. 

One of the main things that he said I should do was to write up the pros and cons of collage. This is so it gets me thinking about why I like to use it, over any other media, but to also see the negatives. I wanted to type it up onto the end of what I'd written today but realised that my laptop doesn't have Microsoft Word. Eurgh. Anyway, I will type it up onto here then eventually transfer it somewhere else. 

Pros

- Using images from old magazines = great colour quality. 
- Able to put exactly what I'm thinking down on paper. 
- Can be as complex or simple and still make an impact. 
- The images can be complete opposites but can be brought/linked together by collage. 
- Get to rework images into having a new and different meaning. 
- Love the boldness it can create. 
- Gives me the chance to make images as surreal as I like. 
- I feel like I can express my thoughts and ideas more with images rather than drawing. 
- I like the mystery and seduction collage allows you to create. 
- I enjoy the process of finding the images and cutting them out. 
- Deciding on the composition of the collages is something I enjoy doing. You can see how many variations you can have by just moving them around on the page. 
- By using current imagery I can make the audience have a stronger connection to the work.

Cons:

- If cutting by hand it can be quite slow. 
- Images from old magazines can be delicate so the paper sometimes rips.
- Digital collage can sometimes take away the texture of traditional collages. 
- The notion of 'stealing' others work (although this can be argued with the fact that you rework the image into something completely new). 
- Checking copyrights on imagery (if selling the work). 
- Looking for imagery can take a very long time and be expensive (!). 
- Need to work to the size of the images you find which can be restrictive sometimes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment